Engineer-in-Training/Planner, Transportation Planning
Urban Systems Ltd.
About the Opportunity
Our growing Kelowna office is looking to add a capable and hardworking individual with a background in engineering or planning to our Transportation Planning practice. Are you keen to benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and inspiring projects that make a visible difference in many communities?
Coupled with the diverse learning and project experience opportunities, do you see yourself excited to contribute to…
- Building your transportation engineering skills and develop an understanding of best practices in a practical, real-world setting
- Supporting strategic transportation master plans, active transportation plans, neighbourhood plans and other planning level projects
- Developing solutions related to the design and implementation of active transportation facilities, transit, and urban street improvements
- Exploring creative and sustainable solutions with our clients to build vibrant communities
- Providing accurate and timely input on technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and presentations
- A typical day may include working on:
- Carrying out traffic analysis and modeling using spreadsheet models and specialized software
- Preparation of preliminary investigations and reports on the feasibility, conceptual design, and costs of various types of transportation-related engineering projects
- Reviewing and analyzing road safety studies
- Employing pertinent technologies and programs to carry out design, modeling, and project reporting (Microsoft Office, Synchro, Vissim, GIS, etc.)
We are searching for a candidate who can work with us in building our practice with a particular emphasis on transportation network and corridor planning, active transportation, and option evaluation. In our practice, the individual will work alongside our team to help communities make walking, cycling, public transit, goods movement, and driving more safe, accessible, and sustainable. The ideal individual will complement our practice vision and company culture.
Our preferred candidate will be a recent graduate of a civil engineering or planning degree program with up to 2 years of experience and an interest in transportation.
The core skills that will help you succeed here include:
- You are able to work with others to develop and cultivate positive interpersonal relationships with people from varying backgrounds, including colleagues and clients
- You are comfortable generating practical solutions to problems in a collaborative work environment
- You thrive in a self-directed work environment. You take the initiative, are a problem solver, and continually deliver consistent, high-quality work
- You are passionate about understanding key community dynamics and working closely with clients and partners to provide innovative and ‘out of the box’ solutions
- You can demonstrate project experience in transportation
- You have a commitment to ongoing personal and professional development
- You possess a valid Class 7 or 5 Driver’s Licence
Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary community consulting firm with deep Canadian roots. We are united in our mission to transform communities everywhere into vibrant places where people want to live today, tomorrow, and forever.
At Urban Systems, vibrant communities are everything—including our own work community. Since 1975, we have grown to more than 700 people with 18 offices across Canada. Every day, our purpose-driven team works closely with our clients and their communities to deliver impactful work. We are proud to work with diverse clients, including Indigenous communities, all levels of government, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector.
We care for our communities and for our people. It’s our differences that make us exciting, and our shared belief in Urban Systems that binds us together. We’re searching for the creative and passionate and the curious and courageous to join us in creating meaningful and generational change in communities.
Our Commitment to You
Are you looking for opportunities to participate in challenging projects and work with multiple stakeholders? Join a diverse and supportive group of professionals at Urban Systems and take part in impactful work building vibrant communities across Canada. Here’s what you can expect as a team member at Urban Systems:
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits. You’ll receive competitive compensation, extended health, dental, vision care coverage, and more. This position will have a salary range of $70,000.00 – $74,000.00 per year based on a 40-hour work week. The range is negotiable based on your skillset and experience.
- Paid Time Off. We encourage all team members to take time off to recharge and spend time with loved ones. Enjoy 3 weeks of paid vacation to start, in addition to statutory days off throughout the year.
- Learn and grow. Your professional growth & development is supported here. You are encouraged to take initiative and shape your career through coaching, in-house learning, technical courses, and more.
- Work with Inter-Disciplinary Teams. Amazing things happen when you mix creativity, curiosity, teamwork, and a strong desire to collaborate and innovate. You will be part of diverse, inter-disciplinary teams to deliver important projects for our clients and their communities.
- Flexible Hours & Work Environment. You have a life outside of work. We offer flexibility in your work schedule and work environment to help you do your best work and meet your commitments.
- Saving for the Future. To help you achieve your long-term retirement goals, we offer a Long-Term Matching Program that matches your contributions to an RRSP or TSFA.
- Support through Transitions. You will be supported through life’s moments and transitions, big or small, including generous top-up for parental leave.
- Create Lasting Community Impact. 98% of Urban Systems employees believe that the work we do is important. Join a team of like-minded leaders and work together to bring impactful community projects to life!
How to Apply
If this describes your background, skills and attributes, please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. If it doesn’t describe you exactly, but you feel you are well suited to this opportunity, we encourage you to apply.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life, and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 at 9:00am PST