IT Application and Development Analyst
Vancouver Community College
Who We Are
We acknowledge that Vancouver Community College (VCC) is located on the traditional unceded territories of the xÊ·mÉθkÊ·ÉyÌÉm (Musqueam), Sá¸µwxÌ±wú7mesh (Squamish), and sÉlilwÉtaÉ¬ (Tsleil-Waututh) peoples who have been stewards of this land from time immemorial.
For over 55 years, VCC has been a leader in innovative, experiential post-secondary learning. We’re one of B.C’s top employers and we are proud to inspire students to discover their passions, gain essential skills, and learn what it takes to succeed in a competitive workforce.
At VCC, we respect and celebrate our differences, and are committed to the work of decolonization, accessibility, and inclusivity for all. Be a part of creating an inclusive community that provides equitable opportunities for Indigenous and diverse representation, participation, and success for everyone.
We value lived experience and encourage applications from members of all groups experiencing barriers to equity. Come join the VCC community as we shape the future together.
This position is responsible for analyzing, designing, developing, testing, documenting and maintaining both new and existing software applications and for providing client departments with daily technical support for applications ensuring their continued operation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides analysis, design and programming support.
- Analyzes and assesses existing business systems and procedures.
- Assists in the definition, development and documentation of business requirements, objectives and deliverables in collaboration with internal clients and vendors.
- Develops design, coding and testing specifications for planned system enhancements and API’s.
- Codes, tests and prepares software programs including collaboration tools, web development and applications for implementation according to specifications and established policies, practices and standards.
- Estimates, schedules and monitors activities required to complete assigned portion of project.
- Recommends changes to standards where appropriate.
- Develops and maintains user manuals and guidelines.
- Provides support to internal clients.
- Provides basic training and familiarization to internal clients and other IT staff in the operation and maintenance of systems.
- Periodically coordinates or directs internal clients and other IT staff.
- Resolves complex systems and programming problems.
- Responds to emergency callouts as assigned where immediate operational support is required.
- Develops an in-depth knowledge and understanding of assigned business units and their business processes and goals.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Three (3) year College Diploma in the field of computer science or information technology and over 6 years’ related experience in the development and support of business applications, including 1 year of Ellucian Banner ERP, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and faculty.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to plan and prioritize tasks and meet agreed deadlines with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of system development techniques and methodologies.
- Sound understanding of Object-Oriented development such as php and python.
- Extensive experience with RDMS such as Oracle, SQL Server, Sybase.
- Ability to display initiative and apply effective analytical thinking to solve problems.