Clerk IV – BC Cancer – Victoria
Under the general supervision of the Process Leaders, Radiation Therapy and Systemic Therapy, Vancouver Island Cancer Centre, performs a variety of clerical duties such as booking appointments, processing doctors’ orders and requisitions, reception and chart preparation.
What you’ll do
- Process written doctors’ orders by:
a.Completing requisitions for tests or services.
b.Using the multi-resource scheduling system to book tests or services with the appropriate departments, rebooking if absence of doctor requires this; booking return appointments.
c.Booking special clinic appointments, conferences and consultations.
d.Distributing appointment lists and completing and forwarding documentation according to procedure.
e.Recording booking information via computer terminal.
- Gather relevant patient information for clinic appointments by:
a.Requesting charts from Patient Information Management; requesting x-rays and charts as necessary.
b.Requesting reports, slides and films from outside doctors, hospitals, clinics and diagnostic labs.
- Act as a receptionist by directing patients, visitors and staff to the appropriate areas. Answer the telephone and when appropriate, respond to routine inquiries; relay verbal and written messages.
- Arrange for escort services, portering and delivery of services as required.
- Maintain and update patient master file e.g. recording all booking information according to current status of patient.
- Maintain a stock of stationary supplies in work area. Request stock replenishment as necessary.
What you bring
- Grade 12, medical terminology and graduation from a recognized Nursing Unit Clerk program
- One year’s recent, related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills & Knowledge – Ability to:
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Keyboard 40 w.p.m
- Organize work.
- Operate related equipment.
- Utilize a variety of computer software applications.
- Commitment to upholding the shared responsibility of creating lasting and meaningful reconciliation in Canada as per TRC (2015) and BC’s Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (2019).
- As a strong asset for consideration, we are looking for our successful candidate to have: Knowledge of social, economic, political and historical realities impacting indigenous communities and familiarity with Indigenous Cultural Safety and anti-racism and accompanying reports (BC DRIPA, TRC, etc.).
- Ability to keyboard at 50 wpm.
What we bring
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth, development, and recognition programs that honour the commitment and contribution of all employees.
- Access to professional development opportunities through our in-house training programs, including 2,000 courses, such as our San’yas Indigenous Cultural Safety Training course, or Core Linx for Leadership roles.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan, and psychological health & safety programs and holistic wellness resources.
- Annual statutory holidays (13) with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- PHSA is a remote work friendly employer, welcoming flexible work options to support our people (eligibility may vary, depending on position).
- Access to WorkPerks, a premium discount program offering a wide range of local and national discounts on electronics, entertainment, dining, travel, wellness, apparel, and more.
Job Type: Regular, Full-time
Wage: $27.23 per hour.
Location: 2410 Lee Ave, Victoria, BC V8R 6V5
Closing date: Applications accepted until position is filled
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday; 0730-1530, 0800-1600, 0830-1630, 0900-1700 depends on operational need
Requisition # 157625E
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
What we do
BC Cancer provides comprehensive cancer control for the people of British Columbia.
The Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, manages and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose.
Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, background and experience, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
Reconciliation is an ongoing process and a shared responsibility for all of us. The BC Governments’ unanimous passage of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act was a significant step forward in this journey-one that all health authorities are expected to support as we work in cooperation with Indigenous Peoples to establish a clear and sustainable path to lasting reconciliation. True reconciliation will take time and ongoing commitment to work with Indigenous Peoples as they move toward self-determination. Guiding these efforts Crown agencies must remain focused on creating opportunities that implement the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Mandate.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of December 27, 2023. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.